Monday 3 September 2012

Sydney Cycleways - SBS interview


The Free to air channel SBS has a show called Cycling Central. Normally I do not watch this program mainly due to it's airing time. However this week they interviewed the Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore regarding the cycleways. I have to say it is a welcome distraction that was the load of manure that ACA put out on last Thursday.

What I noticed first out was the number of bikes that road past in the 10 minute interview. With my limited knowledge of Sydney I can only assume that it was shot on the Bourke St cycleway. So much for that serial Youtuber pain posting false claims that no one uses it. Next was the type of bikes & people that road past. I only really saw one Lycra warrior in the footage.
Besides that there are some simple points that the interview brings up
  • Each path is part of a boarder network
  • Only 20% of the separated network has been built so far
  • Each path is signed off by the State Government Department
  • cycling is up 82% in the City of Sydney
  • All the path funding is from the Council itself
  • cycleways/bikeways are not the solution but part of the solution
  • People need the option of cycling by providing the infrastructure
  • Helmets need to be discussed
I have to say it was an interesting interview and I hope that Clover Moore gets back in this Saturday. Her plan and cycleways are something that Brisbane bicycle riders are watching very carefully. The better the results down south the more weight we have up here to get things improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment