Friday 10 August 2012

Brisbanes Next Big Project - article

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/is-brisbanes-next-big-project-a-bicycle-superhighway-20120809-23wtg.html


This is the title of an article in the Brisbane Times about increasing bicycle trips in Brisbane. I have to say it is an interesting article. It also points to the reason why I read fairfax media over murdock media.  Points raised in it include
  • segregating bicycle riders from cars
  • the need for the Northern Cycleway, (see previous post)
  • Investing in bicycle infrastructure over Car Infrastructure
  • Concept of normalising riding a bike.
I have to say these are all points I fully agree on.
What I have to say I found interesting is the concept of more floating walkways/bikeways using old plastic. Considering the former floating walkway floated away during the floods of 2011 I would question the long levity of such a piece of infrastructure, mind you if placed further down river on a wider part maybe it would be suitable.

The concept of normalising cycling that is raised is one I just wish would occur a bit faster and like the article says it needs segregated facilities. To often in Brisbane people assume you where Lycra , umm no. On that not I will leave with a photo linked from the Internet from the recent style over speed ride.


Oh I will add that this is how this bloke normally rides on the same bike, I have seen him a fair bit on the bikeways.

No comments:

Post a Comment