Friday 31 August 2012

"too risky" ACA beat up featuring cyclist harassment

Last week on the Sydney Cyclist web forum a mother posted this disturbing story. I have to say this creeped me out at the time. Being filmed by a stranger is never a comfortable experience but to be chased and filmed as you ride along with your child is just plain creepy.
Well Last night we found who was filming her, Ben Fordham from the anti cycling radio station itself 2GB Sydney. This only came to light because his footage was used in this ACA report titled "Too Risky?".
I would like to state straight out I do not watch this crap normally and only found it because of the discussion on the online Australian Cycling community. As soon as read the descriptions I had a disgusted feeling that it seamed so familiar that I had read it and I was right. As I watched the footage all I could think what is wrong here. She is riding here bike by all the laws. She has added big white flags to the trailer to add to the visibility of the trailer. All I could think there is nothing wrong here and this is a beatup aimed at the lowest common denominator.
That was until they introduced Ian Luff  as a "motoring expert" demanding that bicycle trailers should be banned. According to his own website he is
He has worked with 7 Australian world champions, is a qualified mechanical engineer, has an extensive background in sales and marketing, and he is seen regularly on television and in the media.
This begs the question what qualifications does he have to demand that bicycle trailers should be banned? I say nothing. Then they do a demo where he runs down a test Bicycle child trailer.
When he does this two things stand out straight away.
  1. the trailer largely stood up to the impact
  2. the trailer seamed not to be attached to the demo bike.
I have to say I was quote happily surprised that the trailer stood up so well to a 60kmph impact speed. But what I think was done is the seemingly non attachment of the demo trailer to the demo bike. I say this as when you watch the footage the bike does move more than a slight sway. If this was done on purpose it begs the question why?

Ian has now posted further footage of the Demonstration and to me it does not look like the trailer was attached! Was this done possibly to make it look like the mother was putting all the so called risk on the child and not herself.


All in all I am disgusted with this report and am disgusted with the fact that stalking a Mother and child is acceptable in a station desperate grab for ratings.

All I have to say to the Mother in question is your were doing nothing wrong and ACA is disgusting!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete