Monday 20 August 2012

Sydney cycleways - Are working! - article

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bike-path-rage-rides-counter-to-expert-opinion-20120819-24go2.html


Just a quick post today. This article appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning and I have to say I am very pleased that it did. Basically the article is an investigation into internal Government documents regarding the cycleways as to whether they are doing what they are spose to do and to wheather they are placed in the correct corridors. In no great surprise to me or the people that ride bikes in Sydney the documents say on both counts they are a correct. There has been alot of misinformation around the Sydney Cycleways including a serial You Tuber pest that posts clip after clip. These deceives the average person into thinking the Cycleways are a waste and are not being used. There has also been the Minister for Roads making claims thet no one uses them.


One Cycleway that has been highlighted as a waste but was thankfully defended by the investigation documents was the Collage Street Cycleway. Now the above image was taken back in 2011 when during peak hour I wondered up from my hotel to see how it was going. This was the view I got every change of lights. Group of riders after, group of riders heading into work. Naturally now when I hear an individual say the College St Cycleway is not used and is incorrectly located, my ears pick up and question really what that person is saying because in 2012 when I chose to visit the cycleway again I saw similar scenes of groups of riders descending from Oxford St Intersection.

On that note I say trust the official Council figures of usage and footage that has clearly been taken during peak hour as otherwise you will be deceived. These paths are being used and will only increase as the network expands.


No comments:

Post a Comment